Thursday, December 15, 2011

Beginning My Adventures In Star Wars: The Old Republic


An amazing email to read. I received this on Tuesday, December 13th.
It is interesting to think that just a few months ago I was literally flipping out due to the fact that the future of Star Wars: The Old Republic seemed unclear. Just this past summer, early beta testing had been undergoing problems -- all of the September weekend testing had been closed. After delay upon delay of this game, and then an announcement that the game would tentatively be released "sometime during the end of 2011", all hope had seemed lost. As a fan and follower of news for SWTOR, I was convinced that the game would not be released until 2012.

And then, suddenly, BioWare gave us an official release date. December 20th, 2011. My heart had rejoiced at this news. I already had the game preordered from way back in July, which at the time seemed like ages ago. Now all that was left was to sit back and count down the days until release.

Last month, I had the unique pleasure among many others to test out The Old Republic for two weekends in a row. I enjoyed playing through the many different character selections, but in all honesty it did not help my indecisiveness of which class to play as (for my main character, of course. Main characters are the pride and joy of every MMO player). I knew that I wanted to be a healer. But I didn't know which class I wanted to play heals as, or which faction for that matter. Empire, or Republic? I pondered this question for hours -- the decision literally made me lose sleep.

The following are the top three classes that appealed to me most, all of which I played during the beta testing:

1. Jedi Sage - This is one of the Consular's specs, which consists of ranged DPS/heals. What I love most about the Consular is the fact that they explore the powers of the force and what it truly means to be a Jedi. Being that I am a complete dork, I find this incredibly fascinating. In the beginning, the story line is not all too exciting, but you can gain some interesting insight about the Jedi ways. This class is obviously not for everyone, however, it certainly has its perks. For example, the gear consists of pretty robes and cool hats.

2. Commando - I decided to try out the Trooper class, and I really enjoyed it. Many people didn't like the fact that one of the Commando's talent trees is healing, but me being the one who actually ENJOYS healing, I thought it was rather exciting. That being said, I didn't get to play the Trooper as much as I wanted to, but nonetheless, it was a fun class to play around with.

3. Sith Sorcerer - In my opinion, the Sith Inquisitor is the most corrupt and evil class in the game. I know that the Sith are supposed to be power-hungry jerks, but the Inquisitors are just...incredibly evil no matter what. They go deep into the dark side of the force. A lot of things about the Inquisitor appealed to me -- I loved using lighting and other dark force abilities, however, I did not enjoy the storyline too much. It turns out that I picked all of the "good guy" actions by sparing innocents rather than torturing them, that is when I realized what's the point of being a good guy Sith? Might as well just be Jedi.

Finally, I settled on one class. I decided that my first character would be the Jedi Sage, and I know that I have made the right choice.

On Tuesday, BioWare began sending out early access invites for those who preordered the game. I got my invite around 1 p.m. that day, and that began my adventure in SWTOR. I haven't been "dedicated" to an MMO since the release of RIFT (when was that? February? March?). I know that I am going to thoroughly enjoy playing SWTOR. The music, the voice acting, the storyline...everything about the game has amazed me thus far (check out SWTOR's Facebook page where they upload songs from the soundtrack daily!).

Creating my Zabrak Consular Sage. I love her!
(I become very attached to my characters...don't judge.)
Wookiee is....way taller than me.


Check back to my blog soon for more of my adventures in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

0 comments:

Post a Comment