Thursday, November 10, 2011

Battlefield 3: Reframing My Initial Thoughts


In my last post, I discussed my first reactions to Battlefield 3. The majority of my feelings about the game itself still remain the same. BF3 is undoubtedly incredible (to break it down more thoroughly: the co-op is a little lame and the campaign is nothing too special...but I could get lost in the online multiplayer for hours on end). Despite the greatness of the game, there is one thing that I must address.
As a quick reminder, I have BF3 for the PC (and I'm not going to go into a rant again about how FPS games are 100% better on the PC..so let that just be assumed as I continue with this blog post).

The Battlelog system that Origin uses for BF3 which I discussed in my last post sucks.


Absolutely
SUCKS.


There. I said it.

I understand that nowadays, when a game is released, there are bound to be technical difficulties within the first few days (and at most the first week). But when did BF3 come out again? October 25th? It has been over 2 weeks and the game is still constantly crashing, getting errors, and experiencing technical difficulties beyond belief.
That is not cool, EA. Is this a beta? No. This is the finished game. Apparently it it is not finished because it is impossible to have a gaming experience without receiving massive technical errors.

Been seeing this 'error' way too much.
Here are just a few of the issues I have seen so far, and I have not even been playing this game every day:
Game crashing, unable to receive invites to games, unable to receive invites to chat parties, player chat windows not showing up, extreme server lag, frequent 'page load error' messages on Battlelog, randomly getting disconnected from games, unable to join games for unknown reasons, etc.
And you know what the worst part about this is? These issues have severely gotten worse each time the Origin client or Battlelog updates. Um....what the heck? 


I remember when Call of Duty: Black Ops was first released last year. On the PC, they were experiencing a great deal of server lag issues for quite a while. That was certainly an inconvenience, but at least the game was playable. It feels like BF3 on the PC is unplayable at this point because there are so many issues.

The most frustrating part of the Battlelog system is that it runs through an internet browser -- not through the Origin client. My first impressions of this? Well, I thought it was rather unique and cool. It's a pretty neat idea in theory, however, it's just not working for EA.

I'm sorry EA, but your Origin client is really terrible. It's a terrible competition for Steam, who blows Origin out of the water.
I don't know if the consoles are experiencing the same issues as us PC players, but all I can say is getting this game at midnight wasn't worth it because it has been 2 weeks and I haven't been able to truly enjoy this game yet.


For my closing thoughts, I beg of you EA -- FIX YOUR STUFF. The Battlelog forums are flooded with people complaining about so many different issues. I am incredibly disappointed with your service right now, and I truly hope that I will be able to have a normal gaming experience with BF3 in the near future (or else I will switch over to MW3. HA. Just kidding).

5 comments:

Adam said...

Wow that sucks, I don't think it's affecting consoles though. I haven't heard any of my 360 friends either IRL or online complaining too much

Tracie said...

Yeah, it does suck :/ Hopefully they will fix everything soon on the PC.

I guess because the consoles have a completely different online system, it hasn't been affecting them much.

Jacob C. said...

Ms. Tracie,

I am very sorry that your experience with this game has not been pleasant. However, I cannot help but comment on your closing statement. Know this, I am an RPG man by nature (JRPG at that), and FPS games in general are not my style; however, even I am impressed by Modern Warfare 3. If I were to buy and own an FPS - a thing which has never before occurred in our temporal realm - it would be MW3. Yes, that's right, I might actually *spend money* on it, though it would have to be at a severely reduced rate. For now, of course, I'll just continue bumming off my roommate and dying at round 25 of survival mode over and over, but I do suggest you take the time to look into MW3 as it is actually quite impressive all around. Cheerio!

Tracie said...

Jacob!

I can't believe that you were really that impressed by MW3, haha! I must tell you, as a person that has been playing the Call of Duty franchise for years, MW3 is just a rehash of the first two Modern Warfare games, and that is why I hate on it so much. It bothers me when all of the COD fans rave about how MW3 is the greatest thing since sliced bread when in reality it is not. The only reason I would play Modern Warfare 3 would be for the campaign because I played the first two games and I'd like to see how the story ends. But I don't think I will ever play another COD game on multiplayer ever again.

Before getting to excited about MW3, I would suggest trying out Battlefield 3! Despite all of the technical issues that it's been facing on the PC, the game itself is great. I have a feeling you'd really enjoy the multiplayer.

Jacob C. said...

Ms. "Ironhide",

Well, what can I say? ^^;; I really liked MW2, and did not play many shooters to speak of before that. Well... okay, that's not *entirely* true. While I have never owned an Xbox, I have played all of the Halo games - even the first one when I was but a wee noob in a pro's paradise. (What were we, like, 12 when that came out? Ha!) Anyway, I digress.. I guess what I am trying to say is that I feel the Modern Warfare branch itself is well-done enough that I would gladly play a rehash. Frankly, I didn't care for Black Ops (sans Zombies mode, of course), and I do not get much of a chance to play other shooters (Gears, Battlefield, etc.). However, I can understand where you are coming from. If I had been playing a series since a time long passed, I would expect a certain amount of change and growth. Take the Armored Core series for example, one of my personal favorites. I cannot play AC: Master of Arena for the PSX without crying manly tears of nostalgia ; however, I'm still quite happy with the changes that have been made as the series progressed.

Well, too bad MW3 lost a fan, but I suppose you have reason enough. ^^ I would have to try Battlefield 3 with a friend before spending any of the ol' greenbacks on it, but I'll ask around and check it out! Thanks for the tip, Miss Magitek!

P.S. I use too many parentheticals, ha!

Post a Comment