Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My favorite underrated, not-so-popular games.

I grew up playing so many games. Today, the majority of my favorite games are all quite popular. However, there are some games I have played and enjoyed that are not very popular and definitely deserve more of a hype than they received. Here is my personal list of my favorite underrated and not-so-popular games. I tried to mix it up as much as I possibly could, ranging from old games to more recent games. I do not really describe the storylines because I am not looking to write a review on the games; I just describe my personal feelings toward each game. Hope you enjoy!  And if you have not played these games, go pick 'em up!





Okage: Shadow King

I'm not a huge fan of RPGs because, quite honestly, I'm not very dedicated to them. It takes a lot for me to complete an RPG game from start to finish. Okage, an RPG for the PS2, was an extremely fun and enjoyable game for me. I know it has a  small fanbase out there, but I think it deserves an even bigger fan base. The story was cute, and I absolutely loved every character in the game. I think the character development in this game is what makes it so great. If you're like me and RPGs don't keep your interest, I would certainly reccomend Okage. And if you are an RPG fan and you haven't played this game, I think it is time to break out the PS2 again and play it!






Jet Force Gemini

Oh, hey N64 games. This game got pretty good reviews, but I never hear much about it. You can tell this game was made by Rare, though. Just look at the art! I personally loved the weapons in this game. The multiplayer was alright. But overall, it was an awesome game that deserved more love back when it was first released.




Fire Emblem : Rekka no Ken

Fire Emblem became quite popular due to the the Smash Bros. series. Most gamers have played the more recent Fire Emblem games for the Wii and DS. However, this Fire Emblem which came out on the GBA in 2003 doesn't have any of the Smash Bros. characters in it. It was also my first Fire Emblem game and what made me fall in love with the Fire Emblem series! Definitely a great story, and awesome tactical gameplay in it, as all Fire Emblems do. I don't know why this Fire Emblem is not as popular as the others, it totally should be!





Metro 2033

Before I say anything, I must confess: I have not technically played this game. However, I did watch my ex-boyfriend play through the entire story on his 360, and I loved it so much! I was really getting into the game and storyline while he was playing, it is too bad I did not play it myself. Honestly, when he had started playing it, I had never heard of the game before. I was surprised, because it was definitely a unique and interactive first-person shooter. From what I read, it got pretty good reviews. But other than that, I have not heard much of this game. It was based off a book, and I plan on ordering the book online soon because I am a nerd. The storyline to the game interested me so much that I had to buy it! (Plus, I'm a HUGE fan of games that are based off of books.)





I have no mouth, and I must scream

Wow, just thinking of this game gives me chills. Chiiiillllsss. Ugh, talk about a CREEPY game. This game defines creepy. Okay, if you don't know this about me, learn it now: I am a huge fan of games that are based off of books. This is an old, old computer game based off of a sci-fi short story by Harlan Ellison. I read the short story. I was quite disturbed. I played the game. I was even more disturbed. Obviously the game was very old; but to be honest, that made it even more horrifying. If you are into sci-fi horror, you must play this game. I guarantee it will freak you out.





Red Faction II

Ah, Red Faction. I have been a dedicated fan of this series for years. I wasn't a huge fan of the most recent Red Faction: Guerilla game for the 360/PS3. Red Faction II was my favorite game in the series. The story was pretty good, but the multiplayer was SO FUN. I spent hours upon hours playing the multiplayer. I do not remember this game getting a lot of love, but I think it should have.













Rise of the Triad: The Dark War

I am trying to think of the right words to describe how much I love this game. Rise of the Triad (as a kid, I always called it ROTT) is a very old PC game. A first person shooter that came out in 1995. This game was my very first FPS game. Talk about a game that I spent hours upon hours playing... this is it. ROTT was a fun (and very violent) game...ugh, I can't even think of the right words to describe it! All I can say is it brings back a lot of memories for me, and it was totally overshadowed by Doom and Duke Nukem (which were both excellent FPS games released around the same time). I have the disc to this game, but it's so old that I can't play it on my laptop! I think there is an iPhone app for this game, though. So if you're interested in playing this game, go look for the app.




UN Squadron / Area 88

The final game that I will be putting on this list. I have saved the best for last. In Japan, this game was called Area 88 (apparently it was based off a manga which I never read. It also has an anime, though, which I did watch and I enjoyed it very much). In America, the game was called U.N. Squadron. It's an SNES game made by Capcom. A side-scrolling shooting game, where you are a pilot in a plane fighting off some terrorist group. The music to this game...omg. The music was the most amazing part about it. It was an EXTREMELY hard game, and I never finished it. But the game never ceased to keep me playing when I was younger. To this day, I still get urges to play it. Ahh, between the music, the addicting gameplay, and everything else, UN Squadron has become one of my favorite games ever. Everevever.




And that's it for my list! I hope I have persuaded some of you to pick up these games and play them. And if you have played some of these not-so-popular games, you rock. 

4 comments:

Max Sumii said...

some of them are cool. Have a fun x-mas. :)

Tracie said...

They are ALL cool! Hahaha :D
And thank you! Merry Christmas to you, too!

ZeldaINUnarf16 said...

I remember when you were in love with Okage!! I've always wanted to play through the whole game.

Btw, I really like your blog! I've been reading the older entries =]

Tracie said...

Yes, Okage was an awesome game!
And thank you so much! :D

Post a Comment